Thursday, January 6, 2011

Smells Like Success

Jake Sinclair once said,“There are always critics. Out of high school there are people who say you can't go on and play. I came here, I worked my tail off and proved everybody wrong who said I couldn't play here.” I think that is completely and entirely true. Recently, I had a internal dilemma facing my standards in correlation to what some critics said. For years upon years I've wanted to become a doctor. My mind was constantly switching back and forth from OBGYN, cosmetic surgeon, psychologist and cardiologist. Four completely different fields. I did well in sciences, internships, and took all the pre-pre-requisites in order to fully understand the material that was taught to me. Not so long ago, a teacher told me that maybe I should consider switching professions. Me? I was training to be a doctor for years and now someone tells me I shouldn't be a doctor? Her bit of advice: You can come back to college after you have kids and a family. There is nothing in the world I admire more than women who go back to college after they have their families but, that is not what my state-of-the-art master plan consisted of. I undertook so many tasks in order to be here now and someone tells me I can't do it. No. I won't settle for this. The greatest feeling in the world is looking someone in the face after they told you that you couldn't do something, and say, "look, I DID IT." Nothing my friend, feels better. Why would I stop what I'm doing now? My medical knowledge is one of my passions and something that holds a place in my heart. Its that one prized possession which took years to acquire and obtain, and no one will take that away. I'll keep doing my own thing and she can keep doing hers. Moral of the story: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT let other people tell you how to live your life. It's your life do what you want. Be a goat keeper, Santa's helper, lawyer, garbage-person, window-washer, Wall Street big shot or whatever you want, as long as its you being true to you.
THEbathtubphilosopher@gmail.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment